Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Guest Speaking

Today I visited my friend Madeline's Intro to Creative Writing class at Adelphi University as a Guest Speaker of Poetry. It was pretty interesting. I read some of my published poems and then answered their questions for the duration of the class period. Since most of them are freshman and I think only one or two of them were English Majors, I wasn't expecting much of a response. But I was mistaken. Many of them had interesting and insightful questions and seemed to be truly interested in the process of writing poetry, my process in particular, and many of them were very curious about publishing. My favorite question was "How much money does it cost to get published?" I couldn't help but laugh and tell the poor kid that if you are paying to be published you're getting taken for a ride. Overall it was an extremely enjoyable experience and I hope to do it again in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment